Friday 21 September 2012

Weekend Frenzies


This week was tight, Monday to Friday, all 5 days were tough for me! I was busy meeting friends who'll soon be moving out of the city, biding them farewell and promising to meet again, packing up my own bags planning to move out next month, studying for an upcoming test and also promising a few close buddies to meet, have fun and make merry this weekend, assuming it's one of the last couple of ones I've got with them before I leave the city!


When I was a student at school and college, there was nothing like a 'weekend', in fact I've always hated holidays then. This recent buzzword- weekend  has been very popular in the West where five days are devoted to only work and a two day break which is usually a Saturday and Sunday. With the onslaught of MNCs in India, everyone has adapted to the concept of the weekend rather effortlessly.



The weekend concept seems appropriate for people who work and require respite from their work, hence a two day break to cool their heels, but surprisingly every age bracket seems to have appropriated the 'weekend' phrase that the word has become pretty ubiquitous. Once Thursday dawns, the familiar 'What plans for the weekend' starts making the rounds not only in offices but even in schools, colleges, universities, supermarkets and other places. What is amusing is that even students in the hostel await their weekends as if they've slogged their ass off in the week. I understand that students also work hard but there's a lot of difference between the work done by them and a professional. The student has nothing else but studies peppered along with some love stories, games and hobbies. This student who has not a care in the world looks forward to the weekend!

I received a few messages yesterday (Thursday) wishing me "Have a happy weekend" and "What's the weekend plan?" as if the weekend is what I have been waiting for. Maybe weekends do matter to hardworking individuals who look forward to the Saturdays and Sundays, but not me! The weekend concept has become so very compulsory that some poor individuals who work on Saturdays and Sundays are made to look very very sorry since they literally don't have the weekend! Now how can anyone not have the weekend! Funny, right.

A weekend is common for everyone but not working in the weekends is not common for everyone. The so-called weekend people seem to possess a frenzy of somehow making the weekend interesting. If anyone says, "I will stay home, watch television and be lazy",  the weekendor says, "Why waste your weekend?" as if the weekend is a commodity! One looks forward to the weekend but when finally the week actually ends, there is the question of not wasting it, you've been working the whole week, the weekend's meant for rest buddies!




Well, well, coming back to me, I know I've things to do, go sign an attendance sheet awaiting my presence in the exam hall this Sunday, meet buddies, complete a few undone tasks, make up for a few things, rub off all the bad episodes, make a list of my favorite hangouts to visit, take a snap shot of everything I loved over here, shop, pack up and move out for which I've got just three weeks, but I don't wanna rush and spoil things coz I'm tired and I wanna revive!


I'd rather have a Sundae and try not to hop out tanning in the sun, give way for a couple of drinks and eats with friends this Sunday, coz I'm tired and weak this week(end)! Have fun!
Click on the image to read about the interview and more!